View Single Post
Old 08-22-20, 11:16 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by chichi
We have had a major tandem tour operator reschedule a trip on us with no opportunity given for refunds or credit toward future trips. I know of 5 couples who have had this happen to them with the same operator. To say people are upset is putting it mildly. In our case our business is seasonal and the rescheduled dates are at a bad time for us. I would be hesitant to book future trips with this tour company as they have many repeat customers, including us, that will not be doing business with them in the future. I would think the lost business from repeat business would impact there long term financial viability.

BTW United Airlines gave us a credit.
We signed up for a May 2021 overseas tour a year ago with a similar or perhaps same tandem tour operator. They benefit from a loyal repeat clientele who book their high end tours to capacity quickly, years in advance. Their clearly written policy has always been that once you commit, you are responsible for payment in full. They recommend trip insurance if you can’t afford the possibility of paying yet not being able to go. You can’t back out due to postponement, change of itinerary, etc. With the Covid pandemic, it became clear to us that we would not be getting on a long flight next year. The operator is willing to try reselling our reservation for a fee, so we have requested that. If that doesn’t happen, I will attempt to get some compensation from insurance, but it’s unclear if I will be successful. In the end I will just walk away from the money if necessary. Education always has a price, be it tuition or in some other form. Fortunately I hadn’t purchased flights, as a credit that expires in a year would not be worth anything to us.