View Single Post
Old 04-29-22, 10:03 AM
Allan in T.Dot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If I recall my neurocognitive stuff correctly, a strobing light is better at attracting attention rather than a fixed beam. That is why some higher end cars will initially have flashing brake lights to get your attention. Also, police cars, ambulances, fire trucks will have strobing lights, even road barriers will have strobes on them to attract your attention. That is one concern for these emergency vehicles stopped on the road at night, drivers will actually get distracted and drive TOWARDS the strobing light which is why you hear about stopped cruisers getting hit!!

As a driver - I just don't care what light you have on. For the love of life, just have something one light on, reflector, light coloured clothing so I can see you in the dark. I've come close to hitting people are riding in the dark or in the rain with no identifiers on and I've braked/swerved at the last second to avoid impact. Folks say, but the car has headlights! But if they come up from behind me and are in my blind spot when I make a turn, they are as good as dead.

That being said, rear lights should also be strobing so drivers from behind can see you, and fingers crossed, not drive into you. Red is best for the driver's night vision, but quite frankly anything is better than nothing. Front lights should be both types, one super bright and fixed for your own vision, and one dimmer that is strobing so oncoming cars can see you. Usually white is the default for the front so the drivers can figure out which direction you are going.