burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
I've been listening to so many podcasts about these aerometers and reading a ton of stuff online and every discussion pretty much says it's a complicated mess that requires so many precise data points that precision is a challenge. One of the hardest things is finding the right course. On several pods, I've heard that while the Chung Method uses a loop, notio and aerotune work best on a windless 1k course (with appropriate runouts at either end). I want to jump in so bad I can taste it, but I'm nowhere near able to commit the time to learn it and get it right. Maybe if I had a tutor to speed the learning curve.

Hermes With the smaller Di2 front derailleur on the 9200, I'm leaning heavily towards 2x. I just have to wait to see what chainrings become available for that setup after it's released. Good thing is that my first TT won't be until the spring, and I might need all that time to find something.
Having been able to sniff out things with the Excel sheet Chung method, I will say that I think the complainers are ones trying to justify a single watt at 30mph between pairs of aero socks.

Not folks trying to find larger gains.

The smaller the gain, the more precise your setup needs to be. Even for a tunnel. Which is why lots of people criticize products claiming a single watt at 30mph. How exactly was your experiment setup so well to catch that?

That's where you get into eliminating causes for error and doing lots of laps. I think the velodrome testers with Notios and people who do laps are in the right idea because you can generate a ton of data points (one CdA dot per lap) then plot the box/whisker plots per run.

I think an obvious thing to try for a triathlete on long course would be helmet and position choice relative to how often they need to get out of aero for nutrition, corners, or other. They could do long Z2 workouts with the meter and see what the avg CdA comes out to over time. They could stand to save minutes of time over 5 hours ride time.