View Single Post
Old 10-12-21, 10:17 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
What I didn't like about ERG mode with either Sufferfest of Zwift is that there are those days where you just don't have it. You still want to do the ride, you still want the workout, but it is too hard for your legs and/or heart. When I started doing Sufferfest I had neither power meter nor smart trainer and used the simulated power curves that the apps provided. The problem is that the trainer itself would start out easy and then get much harder as the fluid warmed but show the same power level. That had an advantage in that you would start out a little easy and it would get suddenly enough harder when you were already pushing that it felt good.

But the other advantage of this is that if you weren't feeling it, you just rode short of the power target displayed. ERG mode has none of that, you ride at the requested power whether you feel good about it or not. You push too hard sometimes. And it isn't that I didn't push hard, I did it on my terms, not the computer's. Some rides I matched the curves exactly (within the norms of shifting) and others I would do 10% less, or whatever, and sometimes more than the target.

So now I have all the high-end toys but find that I use them less than my old fluid trainer. I'm hoping the new Systm has enough going for it to keep me engaged, and maybe I'll turn off ERG mode and just use the target power. At least actual power will be accurately measured with the trainer and/or PM pedals. And the progress tracking will be good.

I should mention too that age is a factor. I'm 66 at this point so it isn't getting any easier. It was only 2-3 years ago that I was in the top 25% on all my Zwift rides, would hold top position on sprints, and would beat the hell out of anybody on an outdoor ride. (not racing though). I'm happy now to complete the course.

Last edited by zacster; 10-12-21 at 10:21 AM.