Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
I use them to seat tubeless tires, and on group rides when others have flats and don't have what they need. Probably began using them 5 years ago. I had two PDW Shiny Object inflators - one just leaks air now when you screw the cartridge on. The other one...well, that one was my fault. I forgot I had CO2 still in the cartridge and unscrewed it - loud bang and it blew the seal right out of the thing. Oops.
So, I don't think the inflators typically have much in the way of seals for the CO2 threading. I guess I thought you were having issue with the inflator to tube valve sealing? I've come across many reviews for shoddy threaded CO2s. I'm guessing QC can be bad at the real cheap off-brand makers of these. Perhaps even the threading could be bad enough to damage your inflator's threads to make future use even difficult?

So.. I guess advice is to stick to a larger perhaps known brand? eg. spring for Lezyne brand cartridges perhaps. Also, I haven't had a need but I guess you might be able to pre-wrap some cartridge threads with something like teflon tape, but make sure to end short of the end of the cartridge.