genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Yes, at least one rear light should be steady when dark. As an approaching driver it can be hard to track a flashing light especially in the mix of other vehicle lights, it can appear to jump horizontally making it hard to tell if tracking on sidewalk, shoulder/bike lane or shared roadway. So I use a bright steady on post and flasher on helmet when dark.
Yeah this is why I have a steady bright "central light" which is my NiteRider light, a PB super flash as a low "outside" flasher and a small "blinkie" on the back of my helmet. That pattern of three lights is somewhat unique, indicates something sort of narrow and tall... IE, cyclist. But with the steady light, I am easier to see (as you point out) and the PB super flash really draws attention.

Of course none of this will attract the attention of a driver who just isn't looking... who has their head buried in some "important" text message...

But when it does work, I get wide passes, which is fine with me.

Forward looking, I have the NiteRider old 12v halogen system (which has served me quite well all these decades) and a small flashing LED. The flasher forward is little more than a "hey, look at me, I am NOT a motorcycle" light.

Now I no longer bike commute, but this set up served me quite well on busy, distracting, badly back lit San Diego streets, where I would be surrounded by distracting store lights at some stretches, or under a dark highway bridge in other stretches, or crossing poorly lit freeway on-ramps in 50MPH traffic in yet a different stretch... all of the same route. Needing to see, be seen, and stand out against other distracting lighting, was how I came to my lighting choices.

Decades ago I would ride ninja style, with no lighting, in the quieter residential streets... as I could see well enough, hear well enough and notice car headlights long before they knew I was around; but that worked, for that situation. My point is, a different cyclists' lighting needs may be different, and they should plan accordingly for what works for them. There is no "perfect solution."

BTW, that NiteRider system had a "control panel" at the handle bars that allowed me to set the lights to real dim, if I were on a bike path where I did not want to "blind" on-coming cyclists. They don't sell it any more, but I suspect that newer LED systems offer similar options.

Even further back in time, back when bike lights were these flimsy leg strap things or 6w generator things I used 3 Belt Beacons mounted in a triangle pattern, all on flash mode as my rear lights... I even tried an MOB strobe for one area of my commute, where traffic speeds were 50MPH+. Those were indeed the "dark ages" of bicycle lighting.

Last edited by genec; 10-14-21 at 07:39 AM.
Likes For genec: