Old 07-27-21, 10:34 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
For me, it was really a matter of ease of entry - the question about getting the right ingredients ("pfffft - those PTFE granules are way too big!") and the delayed shipping times just made it easier for me to spend a little more and get on with it.

Sure, I looked at the math before purchasing, too - I think that I paid $18, including shipping - and I knew that I'd be paying 5x-10x more in the long run. I know that some people like to look at relative costs to inform purchases but, particularly with low ticket items, I don't think that it always makes sense. A product or service that's 10x more expensive doesn't necessarily have to be 10x better, not when you're ultimately talking about a product that'll last years and a price difference that'll only get you a couple of Happy Meals.

I'll probably put the ingredients on a shopping list and buy them at some point, but I'll keep recommending options like MSW to noobs. Many people already perceive waxing as a faff, so lowering the bar of entry is a good thing and it can keep people from talking themselves out of something that might otherwise be a fruitful endeavor.
Yea I found the Gulf Wax at Ace for $4 and I picked up some PTFE (1.5 microns) for like 20 on Amazon, so it works out about the same if I had gone with Molten it was 20 + 8 for shipping...so meh.