Old 07-28-21, 01:48 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
For the ultrasonic clean I help out the built in heater by boiling the water in a stove pot then pouring it into the cleaner. This sufficiently is hot enough with simple green to strip the chain. I then rinse the chain. Some do an alcohol based rinse there, but I won't if it isn't a "race chain prep". For day to day riding, I skip that.

Same for wiping the chain outside, do that.

Also, before it fully cools but is cool enough to handle, remount it and back pedal it a while as it cools and I've noticed I'm able to then just back pedal it on the first ride for a few seconds and am good to go.

Here's the bottom line with lots of drip lube versus a crock wax job: a crock wax job pretty much prevents you from accumulating the grime that folks get from just adding more drip. So many group rides or weeknight worlds see these near black cassettes and chains and just cringe. If you truly clean a chain how you should for drip lube or waxing, you're doing already 75% the time spend of waxing. The crock is the last little step.

Also for time savings, spend on a spare chain. Do two at the same time. Halves the time spend. Thus almost making the whole time spend argument a wash.