Old 05-22-21, 02:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
An issue is how stable after a truing will a wheel be? Is it better to have those last few mms of straightness come at the expense of really loose spokes or rounded off nipples? I I got a wheel within a few mms of lateral true and they stayed that way for many more miles I would say I did a good job with what I hade to work with.

Now what woulkd be interesting, but not at all worth it cost wise, would be to completely de tension the spokes so the rim was still "held in place" but not being encouraged to be any shape (true) but what it is naturally. If that rim then shows it's not very round or "flat" then the wheel will always have some pretty uneven spoke tensions.

So not asked or offered is the question about the spoke tensions in the wheels being talked about. How even are they? How loose is the most lax spoke? There's more to truing then just having a rim look straight. Andy