Old 09-07-21, 05:11 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thanks.

The MT/ID trip I had all lined up for June of 2020 had to be scrubbed because of quarantine rules and because Delta changed my itinerary so drastically that it would have been logistically insane. Not to mention that for my return trip, it had be me MSO to SCL, SLC to MSP, SLC to MSP and finally MSP to PHL. Had no idea how it expected me to take two different flights from SLC to MSP on the same day. Glad I took a photo of the computer screen because it was instrumental in winning the dispute with my bank.

Also turned out to be a blessing in disguise as areas I was supposed to ride through got hit with a blizzard that I would have gotten caught in. One high (just under 8,000') road I was supposed to cross got more than 2' of snow and was closed.

Also, I likely contracted COVID in late March/early April of that year. Over the summer I did get in a two long weekend trips and then did a cross-PA tour from Pittsburgh home to Philly, starting with the GAP then heading north to pick up PA Bike Route S.

Then on 11/13 (a Friday of all days), I lost consciousness while walking errands during lunch (very possibly post-COVID related), fell on my face and, among other things, severely messed up my left thumb. Had surgery a month later. Months of PT and OT. Not sure when I actually was able to even get back on the bike for short commutes/leisurely rides this year. Probably late April.

Managed to get in a total of 5 days of loaded touring this summer during two local-ish trips. I have no idea how I will do starting next week. First days is only about 35 miles and then I have a day off in Burlington to hang with some friends. Nice thing about the plan is that I have wiggle room later in the trip. Best case scenario is that I will be home the 23rd, but I can add some short days/days off after the 5th day of riding without wasting reservations and not get home until 9/26 if I want to.
Damn! Rough phase for you, glad you are back riding. Good luck on tour