Thread: Cycling Tattoo?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-21, 12:01 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
After finishing paris-brest-paris the second time, I wanted to memorialize the event with a tat. I thought about it for three years. Eventually I went with the ACP logo, above my right ankle back-right. It was there for PBP 2019. It's above the cycling-sock line, below the dress sock line. In retrospect, I'd rather it be in a place I see more often; I might go weeks without seeing it at all. When I do see it, I like it. A lot. So... maybe the location is okay after all.

One thing I've realized after getting a tat is, it's for me, not anyone else. I also have scars, and body characteristics, and injuries that sometimes show themselves in how I move. Sometimes people ask me about those things, or about my tat, and I'll tell them. When I see someone with a tat, sometimes I'm curious about what it means - but I understand it's about them, not me.

Some years ago I read about a preserved body of a pre-historic human, and they found a tattoo. We can look at it, talk about it, think what we think about it. But that was a person, and what it meant to them is what matters, not what we think.

Oh, and I hire embedded software engineers. And pay them well. Tats? Piercings? Bring it. As long as you write good clean code, know what the phrase software architecture means, and are not an *******, you're probably hired. I also need a base code team lead and a software architect. I'm 60 and starting to think about retirement, so in my recruiting I have an eye for my replacement. Again, *******s are out, tats are fine.
Likes For downtube42: