View Single Post
Old 03-15-23, 12:32 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Have you ever observed any kind of growing on a roller? Since the roller is wider than the chainwheel or cog they are rolling over, it should be readily visible. Sheldon Brown has two pictures of extreme chain wear that are illustrative of how chains wear. You can see several different wear patterns on the pin and on the plates. I’m not sure what to call the bit of the plate that stands up away from the body but you can see that is is worn to match the wear in the middle of the pin. The roller may wear it a little also but the pin is seeing the highest concentration of the pressure of riding and the most wear. The whole chain becomes worn and the rollers fit sloppily inside the chain itself.

That’s just a restatement of what I asked you. How would you measure them separately? You are the one who brought up the issue so it is up to you to resolve it. The rest of us use the tools we have a hand…either ruler or a chain checker.
Never said anything about needing to measure them separately. But if the rollers do wear, as you concede, you ought to measure both.

Simultaneously

With a chain checker.As I said in the first place.

And if rollers don't wear, that makes the OP pretty mysterious.