View Single Post
Old 05-23-23, 06:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I wouldn't take cable cutters or any tools like that touring. I would just do as TiHabanero does and coil it till I can get to a shop with good cable cutters and some end caps or maybe someone with a welder or some solder or something.

I generally would replace my cables and housing a month before a tour get everything settled in and adjusted and then probably not worry for a while. Unless you go through cables quickly it is not a huge worry. If you do go through cables a lot you should try and figure out why and solve that. Really what I carry for touring is tubes and some spare spokes and maybe a quick link and an emergency hanger but I don't go too crazy because I would end up carrying a spare everything and these days you can get pretty much anything anywhere either from a shop or via one of the many shippers in the world and the only time I might be really concerned is in the middle of nowhere in an underdeveloped country.