Old 05-30-19, 03:59 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
So will this frame eliminate toe overlap? I know everyone has different needs, but I live with toe overlap. I have huge feet, and I have medical reasons to move my cleats back, so my toes are far forward on my pedals. It's really not a problem. I just turn the handlebars, which isn't a problem, because I only bump at very low speeds.
Hopefully! The toe overlap I had on my last bike was small and rare. I used this BikeInsights site to figure out if I could use the new Soma (before confirming the custom bike) and the wheels were so much closer than my last bike. That is what helped make up my mind. I test rode a few bikes in "my size" and the toe overlap was ridiculous. And I have average sized feet.

But since I knew I was going for bigger tires, it felt meaningful to note. And I wanted a lower trail bike anyway. So those tweaks to geometry should do the trick for me in eliminating the issue. I also had a bit of pedal strike. Anyway I have shorter cranks and the wheels are out a bit more so I should be safe. It felt most noticeable at slow speeds. My roads are full of potholes so there are sometimes a lot of quick maneuvers to avoid stuff - so it felt a little riskier to have toe overlap.