Old 12-15-20, 07:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
The issue here seems to be not whether bikes are expensive, but that the OP seems outraged by the fact that bike manufacturers charge more then the OP thinks they should.

So many ways to view this .... and all of them make the initial position seem .... whatever.

Maybe with fewer sales, bike makers need to charge more to maintain profitability. Maybe they have found that people Will pay more---even if they complain about it---so why not charge more? Maybe bike makers were undervaluing their products previously.

IN ANY CASE: A person either buys the bike he or she wants, or does not. Pretty freaking simple.

I do photography, and I want to be a really good lens but it costs about $2200---or about $1500 refurbished. It cost only about $1200 many years ago.

It never once occurred to me to complain because the same lens increased in price. For me, the calculus was, How much more money would I make if I got the really good lens, and how long would it take me to earn back the cost of the lens? Would I lose money if I kept using the perfectly serviceable but not as awesome lenses I have been using? How much did I Want it, and did I Need it?

It never occurred to me to complain about the price or the fact that the price rose. I never took it as a personal affront, or felt a need to attack the entire industry because to me, the lens was very expensive, while to some other shooters, the lens is a reasonable investment.

If you cannot justify the purchase it is beyond your means. Get a better job. get a part-time job in a fast-food restaurant. Cut lawns in your neighborhood. Stop expecting the world to work on your behalf. Work on your own behalf.

Or, like me with my lenses ... ride the excellent bike you already have and be glad you have it.

While we complain about the cost of bikes and bike parts .... how many people are complaining because they cannot afford the food they need or the medical care they need? Sort of makes complaining about the cost of luxury items seem sort of silly, and selfish, eh?