Old 08-05-21, 04:09 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
Looks like a good solution to your needs. With the tandem and tandem rack being measurably longer than the original rails on the hitch mount, there will likely be greater torque on the hitch mount. Also, the tandem rack was meant to have two attachment points to cross rails near each end (I believe) rater than just one attachment point near the center. Do you believe there sufficient margin in the hitch mount, and/or the tandem rail to take the extra torque that the system will experience getting bounced around during normal travels? (I know, everyone is a critic, right? )

Thanks for pointing out these things. I've thought about the length and the added torque on the hitch. The tandem weighs about 39lbs. With the wheels removed its probably ten-twelve pounds lighter, but the tandem rack offsets that(which puts it back at over 40-45 pounds).

I've put a little bit of thought into cutting a longer bottom plate where the platform/tandem rack clamps around the hitch extension. And then use some thick walled aluminum tube as spacers for the outer bolts. That would help distribute the force when turning or over bumps.

We're not going to be off road with it. Just on highways.

Here's some pictures for the naysayers. The picture from the rear still doesn't give an accurate view, as I took it from maybe 15 feet back.