Old 11-21-21, 03:06 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by BecMcS
Hi, late reply i know but i was wondering how you went if you had it done? I had a knee replacement last year at 39 and have found it impossible to ride as i was before (and i was D grade at best before). I have had multiple surgeries before the replacement though (I've had 13 all up - my knee replacement was no. 11).
Had it done in November 2020 -- so a year ago. I was riding a bike within a few days (just around the block - nothing serious) - in early January, i bought a 29'er BMX bike to mess around on pump tracks and bike paths and things like that

I dont have any issues with riding , although --- I have to admit , that i have had some severe depression that started with the knee pain - lack of exercise and general malaise and "I dont give a S anymore" attitude caused me to gain quite a bit of weight that i am now trying to work off
But from a mechanical standpoint, if the knee will hold up to light use at the pump track and some mountain bike rides, i think it will hold up to some competitive aspirations. But i have told myself i will re-focus on those when i get about 50 pounds off (a factor which is also really hard on an already compromised knee )
My procedure was really physically painful to me for about a month -- i literally used all the harsh painkillers they gave me, and then started on 800 mg Naproxens and the like afterwards for about 2 additional months. (Important note: not everybody has this reaction - some people have little pain and are back at work in a couple of weeks )

So yes , it sucked -- but i am most definitely thankful i had it done- my life is better for it . Since then , i have also been made aware of another Masters trackie who performs at a Very high level who has had both his knee and hip done Karl Baumgart is a multi time national and world champ and has done a 1:04 kilo on a knee and hip replacement - Amazing and inspiring !