View Single Post
Old 10-25-22, 11:46 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
For me, I think it's mostly just adulting. (Note: This is not the same thing as adultery! I've never gone there.) So let's see...

- I have a full time job (40-ish hours per week)

- A second job, mostly on weekends

- My family--only one teenage son still at home, but there's always something, and our three adult daughters still need help with stuff from time to time

- I am active in my church and community--not lots of hours, but some volunteer service here and there

- Last January, I got sick (that dang 'Rona). It only really kept me down for about a week, but I didn't get my full energy and strength back for a couple months

- Around the same time I was going through this, my wife started treatments for breast cancer.

-- She was diagnosed last December, and starting in January underwent two surgeries, then chemo, radiation, and a bunch of other stuff.

-- Caring for her took up most of my time, and I also took on her share of the routine errands, housework, etc.

-- She's now slowly returning to normal health and activity, but...

- I'm sick again, for about the past month. Nothing serious, just a nasty, persistent cough. Probably bronchitis. I've been to the doctor twice, but there's not much he can do about it.

-- Just coming out of it now, and I hope to start riding again, however...

- Now it's getting cold and wet here, and days are short (I don't really like riding in the dark)

- My extended family relies on me somewhat. My dad passed away April of last year, so I'm trying to be there for Mom. I've also tried to help my brother as often as possible, as he faced some really tough challenges lately.

- I have the kind of house and cars that seem to require frequent maintenance or repairs. I do most of these myself. I'm pretty handy, but it often feels like treading water.

- When I get a chance to exercise, I have to choose between running and biking, as I enjoy both. My dog likes it when I choose running, because she can usually go with. When I ride, she usually cannot.

- That's about all I can think of. Whenever I'm caught up on this stuff, I can ride as often as I wish!

Thinking through that was kind of cathartic. I've been irritated lately that I don't get out to ride very often (sometimes not at all for a week or longer). I have several nice bikes just sitting in the garage, and I think it makes them sad to not get ridden. Thinking through it to identify what's stopping me, I don't feel so bad. I mean, it's not like I'm just being lazy. Okay, sometimes it's that too. But mostly it's all the stuff we usually lump together in the category of "life."

I relish the great outdoor adventures and find they recharge my soul, even when they're sort of few and far between. Besides the little local rides that I try to fit in at least weekly, this year I've been on two or three really good, long bike rides, entered a couple races, and done a few great hikes/trail runs. That's about a half dozen cool experiences in one year; what have I to complain about?

Last edited by Broctoon; 10-25-22 at 12:43 PM.
Likes For Broctoon: