Old 06-04-20, 11:31 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2157 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by pmferna
Looks good! It seems yours has a freehub with 6 or 7 cogs in the cassette. What's the pathway for you to convert the 6speed freewheel to a freehub giving that it's almost impossible to find freehubs to fit the 126mm spacing? I have a Shimano 7-speed freewheel that I plan to swap when installing the brifters (7-3 STI), but I don't really like how it's going to look.

Also, mine seems to have an issue just right where the B-screw touches in the derailleur hanger. I tried to adjust it so it will pull the pulleys away from the sprockets. It's now slightly touching the smallest cog. Not too loud and happens when I push it harder for speed, and it's annoying! While trying to adjust, the screw starts to come out of the frame. I don't think the frame is misaligned. I appreciate any suggestions.
That's 11 speed Shimano 105 installed on an 88 SR500 frameset with 11 speed wheels. 130 width wheels easily slide into the rear dropouts.
A 7 speed Shimano freewheel should work just fine with 7 speed STI's. There's no way to convert a freewheel hub into a freehub style, gotta replace it. But any 8-9-10-11 speed rear hub will fit easily as noted above, and you can use a spacer behind a 7 speed cassette to get the correct spacing.

Not sure what the issue is with your B screw, but that RD won't shift anything larger than a 28 tooth cog in the back.