Old 04-01-21, 10:18 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
You rode the Cabot trail on paved roads on a fat bike?
I mean, cool and all, but why?
My road bike was destroyed in June of the same year (2019)... the "Tour de Cabot" was the August/September long weekend. The crash that killed my bike also resulted in 9 ribs broken in 15 places, a collapsed lung and other stuff - I wasn't sure when I'd be back on the bike so I didn't rush to replace it. Turns out I was riding back to work within 4 weeks and the Cabot Trail in 2.5 months.

I already had the fatbike... so I slapped some el-cheapo Canadian Tire Kenda 4" (my "narrow" street tires! lol) and voila - the Bigfoot 6.1 has been my new road bike since.

Still haven't replaced the road bike... The settlement is closing in so maybe there is a new bike in my upcoming season?

Fun facts:
1) 28-42 is not the end of the world for climbing Cape Breton's hills.
2) a dropper post is the ultimate secret weapon for descending... lower your center of gravity without the risk of a "super tuck"
3) my new top speed of 67.7 km/h is FAST on a fatbike.
4) nothing has ever activated my pucker factor quite like grabbing some front brake to bleed off speed before the next hairpin only to be met with the characteristic noise & vibration that signifies a loose front skewer on my Bigfoot.

Yes - ~70km/h on a fatbike with a front wheel literally only held on by gravity. One bump away from a long fall and and a swim. Good thing I'm not prone to panic in emergencies. LOL
Likes For Bearhawker: