Old 03-17-24, 10:30 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,398 Times in 2,093 Posts
A Jaguar that isn’t a Schwinn and a Schwinn that’s not a racer.

Last weekend, I went to see this - despite every known reason to mankind to run the hell away from it:

…the seller didn’t show up, so I visited the thrift stores nearby. There are three in a row in this mall.

The first two shops are not so great. The third has stuff like this on the shelf:

…and they also had this:

Mind, I’ve been farting around with C&V stuff for about 17 years now give or take a few years, and have never found anything earlier than 1970 at any thrift store (that I can remember, anyway). Only the trash piles and “free” signs have yielded anything of the kind.

The score - a 1960 Schwinn Racer dressed in black and wearing the winged Schwinn badge discontinued the previous year:

Only obvious modifications since factory - some useless reflectors for misguided peace of mind, probably added in the early 1980s.

Front one is a Schwinn piece, so this thing probably didn’t stray too far away from a local Schwinn dealer.

The biggest surprise: The original Schwinn 597 tires - capable of holding 50psi with no major dry rot.

More pics in next post…

-Kurt