Old 07-11-23, 11:01 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 253 Posts
Magicycle quality? Customer Service? Others for $600?

My stepdaughter's boyfriend is looking at either a moped or eBike for his next set of wheels. (he's got an mountain bike now) He's leaning towards an eBike, but his budget is $600.

I've had one bike in this budget, the Sailnovo from Amazon. I found it very unstable due to steering geometry that's only suitable at low speeds. My stepdaughter crashed it twice and my niece crashed it once. Quality was fine, just the design was not as good.

I looked around on Amazon and they're filled with direct-to-consumer Chinese bikes. When I read customer reviews, they often have to deal with customer service due to low quality and rarely get their problem fixed quickly; it often takes months.

One bike that is tempting and is a brand name I recognize is the Magicycle Commuter, coming in right at the top of the $600 budget. It's a single speed w/belt drive. 52 V, 7 Ah. If the quality is good, this would fit the bill pretty well. (hence my Subject question)

I like that it comes with fenders and a pannier rack.

Any other bikes for max. $600 that are of decent quality and would be suitable for a 5'11" tall 17 year old boy? He'll be using it to commute around a medium sized city, pretty flat. He's not wreckless, just a little dopey and absentminded.

Thanks!