View Single Post
Old 02-25-22, 05:27 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I'd stay away from Five Tens if you use clips and straps, because they seem to be too sticky to slip under the straps easily.

The 5-10s are great on pinned flat pedals. I believe that part of the pinned flat ideology is that you can use a wide variety of shoes on them without hotspots, because there's so much surface area that the pressure from feet spreads out; supposedly, sneakers work.

Personally, I like pinned flats (like DMR V12s, VP1s, Raceface Chesters, etc.) and 5-10s better than clips and straps, but if I had found something like the Puma touring shoes when my old ones disintegrated, I'd probably still be using clips and straps. I double-tie the bow to protect the laces, shoes, crank, and chain. I think I've ridden 6K miles without a problem.

Today's shoes seem to be either road shoes that are too slippery to stay on any traditional pedal or MTB shoes which are too tall for many clips and which have rubber-like soles that compress when pedaling.

BITD, some people raced, some people rode for pleasure. If you raced, you probably used toe clips, straps, and cleats and tightened the straps. It was difficult to get out of that combo. Most people used clips and straps, but the straps weren't all that tight. They were a lot easier to get out of than 'clipless', IMO. I found the twisting needed to get out of SPDs to be a bigger problem than just pulling my feet back to exit clips & straps.

I would think it's getting into pedals, not getting out of them explains why the Look pedals quickly took over the peloton - it's much easier to clip in with Looks, etc., than with clips, straps, and cleats.
Likes For philbob57: