Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Time for an early-in-the-thread sanity check:

No amount of lug filing, dropout slotting, or dead framebuilders on their front steps are going to elevate a frameset to god status. Don't let the legend cloud rational judgement.

Confentes are framesets built with loving attention to detail from a fellow whose life on this earth was cut far too short. Yes, they're art and they're special given his association with MASI. Nevertheless, he did not descend from the heavens with Columbus tubing forged by Zeus, and did not assemble this tubing using unicorn piss for brazing flux.

If one could ride blindfolded, I bet not a single one of us here could pick out a Confente from its peers, and I bet changing the wheels and tires mounted to each frameset would cause more change than anything else. Not to mention a lightweight rider will likely have a differing opinion per frame and wheelset than a heavy rider.

Remember, a lugged steel frame can be "springy," "dull," "not fit right," or "just perfect," but they can't be outright magic. Magical, perhaps, but not magic. Confentes stand out because they're understated art pieces, not because they're functionally superior to anything else of the time.

DD is right - that Medici will probably ride just like a Confente, as will many other bikes of that time, whether or not Mario had any connection or involvement.

Can you feel it coming in the air tonight? Oh lord, or lord. Well, I've been waiting for another Riv' thread all my life, oh lord...

-Kurt
Damn, thanks for writing that!

Lots of people treat vintage bikes as if they were religious artifacts. I just like to ride 'em.