MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Interesting. I practically had to beg for some Percs to take home with me when I was discharged after my valve replacement way back in '90. I told them I had to travel the next day, which was true. (Had the surgery in Pittsburgh and was taking the train home to Philly the next day.) They finally agreed to give me a week or so worth of them because of the fear of addiction. I was already addicted after 10 days in the hospital. I used to wake up the morning and ask for my "happy pills." As my supply at home started to dwindle, I started taking one or two fewer pills a day to make them last.

When I had my thumb surgery on 12/17/20 I got sent home with a healthy supply of some painkiller. The supply was great enough that a nurse strongly advised me to buy and take stool softener. I think I only took them for about a week, and never in the daily quantity prescribed.
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I told my orthopedic surgeon before I had my larval repair 6 years ago that I wanted an opioid free pain management plan. He laughed and said I was going to change my mind. I figured since it was arthroscopic I’d be fine.

I was under anesthesia for close to 5 hours with my hip in traction for four. He ground off a ton of bone on the head of my femur and outside of the hip and did microfracture to bring blood to the site where the labrum was anchored back in place.

When I woke up I was in a **** ton of pain, and when asked if I wanted a percocet I immediately said yes.

He prescribed me a few days worth for breakthrough pain and it was enough to make it manageable, I can’t imagine going without it. I was sick when I came off it after only a little time.
The poppy is a gift from a merciful god, no doubt. The neck would actually have been perfectly survivable without narcs and I was off completely at 36 hours, but I've had a couple of things where I was glad to have them.