View Single Post
Old 11-10-19, 12:47 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 612 Posts
I'm sure we could have found a used one for less than I'll have in this one but I would have just torn it down and rebuilt it to my liking so..........

Originally Posted by lichtgrau
I like that new frame, especially since it perfectly fulfills the basic need of your stoker for a good standover. Interesting design with the additional set of stays to deal with the rear seat tube...
If I see it right, there is no mount for a disc break... this is something I would really miss on a tandem. Apart from this I'm excited to see the final build...
My wife won't do any hills of any size and our top speed is limited by my gearing choices AND by my wife LOL, she doesn't like to go "too" fast. We've had no issues with V-brakes on the old bike and that's with the stock Shimano pads riding in damp weather so I'm not too concerned and even though it will be used mostly on flat ground I'll be upgrading the pads anyway.

Originally Posted by Paul J
This looks like a great bike for your team to step up to. It uses a eccentric bottom bracket which is a step up too. Looking forward to you build.
Thanks for the encouraging words guys. Yes, the eccentric bottom bracket was a must, the tensioner pulley on the old one is a royal PITA. This is actually the 2nd frame, frame #1 got damaged in shipment, the head tube got dented in at the bottom. The Ebay seller shipped a new frame within an hour after contacting him and told me to just keep the first one. I'm going to try to rework the head tube so the frame is at least functional, not sure what I'll do with it but I gotta try and if I'm unsuccessful then it becomes yard art. The 2nd frame arrived with the LH rear dropout bent in about an 1/8" and the derailleur hanger bent in about 1/4" but those are easily straightened, I have a derailleur hanger alignment tool. The ID of the head tube is 1.339, just a bit over 1-5/16" (1.3125"), if I can find a piece of 1-5/16" steel bar stock a few inches long I can make a tool to push through the head tube and get most of the dent out. Hopefully to the point I can press an old cup into the bottom to make it totally round again. Actually my biggest concern is the suspension fork and I'm not all that concerned about it given how the bike will be used.

Here's the damage to the first frame: