burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
“FTP is the highest power that a rider can maintain in a quasi-steady state without fatiguing for approximately one hour.” Per Andrew Coggan.

FTP can be anywhere from 40-70 minutes or about an hour. Nobody sees the words, "about, quasi-steady state or fatigue"

Constantly testing FTP can be counterproductive, almost like watching a pot boiling except putting your hand in the water once in a while for fun

Like BurntheSheep, I would try to find an interesting event to train for. I improved my FTP a good amount pre-Covid by focusing on breaking 20 minutes for 10 miles and also some climbing personal bests. I was also working on fitness to go under 4 hours for a hundred. More tangible and not so hard to see results. FTP tests are not fun Getting suitable roads to do "1 hour tests" is very difficult. Zwift races puts you on the rails from the gun and never seem to let up from my experience, so, I tend to find data from those races to reflect my fitness pretty well.
/
How much did it take to get around the 20min mark for 10?

Until my kids hit high school I doubt I'll have the training volume to ever get much past maybe 28mph or so.