Old 09-21-22, 05:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6236 Post(s)
Liked 4,244 Times in 2,379 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
My excuse is that my 4 mile ride into work would take me on busy commercial roads with a lot of debris and shrapnel and a couple of undesirable left turns. One requires me to cross 2 lanes (45mph limit) to get to the left turn lane, and the other involves a light rail crossing with unfavorable traffic light patterns.
Another “Big but…” San Jose, like many US cities has a grid system. I’ll bet that there is some kind of parallel road to those “busy commercial roads” that has less traffic and/or easier left turns. Maybe the routes aren’t the most direct but that’s part of the fun. I don’t commute anymore…retired…but for 40 years I would tell people that I knew 433 routes between my house and my work. Yes, that’s a silly boast (and 433 is a prime number) but only by a little. I rode between 9 and 11 miles most of the time (depending on route) and crossed 4 major arterials. There is an arterial just to the south of my house that I could have used but if I rode 3 blocks further south, I could follow a quiet neighborhood road for much of my ride.

Quit looking at roads with car eyes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: