View Single Post
Old 01-28-16, 09:25 AM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mr geeker
The only trunk bag I have any experience with would be one from nashbar that has been discontinued. The closest bag they now have is this one, though mine didn't have the side pockets, was in hi-vis yellow/green and was insulated. Great bag, wish I still had it. Heck, if they still offered it I'd buy it again. It got stolen along with my last bike and I've since been using a fridge pak soft cooler bag thrown in my handlebar basket.
Good option, thanks for the recommendation. I like that it's insulated, though it didn't seem to explicitly say so in the advert. Price is certainly nice as well.

Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
I have the insulated Nashbar back you speak of. Mine looks like a big cooler

Thule actually makes a bag specifically for the rear rack you have and that MIGHT be the only option since I am unaware of how many holes or mounting options that rack has. I would also say is if you need something insulated, get a cooler a nice one. I have not seen too many great rack top bags with insulation that are actually good at keeping things really cool.

At this point I use a Stanley Food jar with usually liquid lunches but have put many many other items inside of it.
A cooler is a good consideration. I haven't gone down that route yet. Pic of rack holes here:

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Is a trunk bag going to fit and be easy-on/easy-off with that pannier in place? On many trunk bags (except some Topeaks) you need to wrap a Velcro strap around the sides to hold it on. Also, I know you say you usually take off both the pannier and the trunk bag, but in cases where you only want to remove one or the other, you might have some hassles. Just sayin'.

I've been looking at the Topeak MTX, EX, and DX combination trunk bag/panniers that slide on and off a Topeak rack. The panniers are smaller and more lightweight than what you have, but there are two instead of one. These may be worth checking out. (I know...I don't like to replace things I already have, either!)
Quick-release would be awesome, but I don't know any other options aside from Topeak MTX models. I have no problems selling the current rack if that's the case. Good point on keeping one pannier on to save from the hassle. I'll probably just keep the school stuff on the rack while taking my clothes pannier and trunk bag to the locker. Only concern is theft, as I have my laptop in the other pannier. If I did decide to go with the MTX trunk, I likely wouldn't need the pannier sides, as it wouldn't suit my setup needs.

I don't like the idea of velcro, but that might be a good portion of options I'm supposing? If that velcro goes, then so does the bag, and I'm considering taking the bag off and on maybe 4 times per day. That's a ton of usage over a couple years.

Originally Posted by katzenfinch
I have a Jannd that has served me well. It’s big enough that I can pack a lunch and a change of clothes with plenty of room left over, and the zipped pocket on the top is roomy enough to hold a rain jacket or cape. A U-lock might fit in there, but I’ve never tried it — one would certainly fit in the main compartment, or hung on the side with the Velcro loops. It has D-rings for a shoulder strap, which is a great thing to have. And it’s nice to have the optional extra capacity when it’s needed.

My Jannd does have thick padded walls, but they don’t make any claims about it being useful as a cooler (though they do say it will hold “an eight-pack of soda”). I see that Avenir does advertise their bag as having a fully-insulated main compartment, though.
Will look into those two options, thanks! And thanks for the review, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by tarwheel
I really like the Topeak MTX trunk bag. It is insulated and just about the right size for lunch on other items, such as tools, spare tubes, etc. One problem with a lot of trunk bags is the dreaded "flop," that is, they tend to lean to one side or the other after a while. The Topeak bag does not do that. Make sure you get the one that attaches with Velcro straps if you do not have a Topeak rack.

BTW, I have at least 4 trunk bags. The Topeak is not the roomiest but the nicest of the lot and most expensive. I mostly use a Louis Garneau trunk for commuting because it holds more gear, but it flops a little. I also have Banjo Brothers, Performance, Rivendell Lil' Loafer and a no-name brand.
VERY nice to hear the comparisons. I haven't considered the "flop" but definitely don't want too much of that. I also saw some nice looking LG ones, good information to know.

Will probably end up making a decision by tomorrow/Saturday. Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rack top.jpg (64.1 KB, 303 views)