genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I saw a huge reduction in traffic on Oahu and it still remains lower because of the teachers union not letting kids go back to in person classes (just starting back this month. On the flip side, the traffic that was still out there was driving much faster and less safe.

In LA, I saw no drop in traffic in January when I was there, even at the height of their virus upsurge (leading the nation). They still had the same traffic jams on the I-5, I-10 and 101.

I saw some reduced traffic in San Diego first few days of February. I suspect that was mostly due to schools still being closed for in person learning.
I drove across the country during the middle of March until early April 2020... the country was in lockdown... I saw so little traffic, it was a Twilight Zone experience. I was towing an RV travel trailer... made reservations by phone and Internet, arrived daily at some RV park, and picked up an envelope left by staff... with my site info for the night.

I eventually made it to San Diego and empty freeways there. I stayed in La Jolla, and saw families riding bikes on what were normally very heavily congested roads.

I saw people out and about, walking here and there, but beaches were closed... and there was no motor traffic.

You could walkabout while barely checking for cars as you crossed streets. Retail areas were shut down... some stores boarded (more so later, due to protests)

Cyclists rode where they wanted... with abandon. Cycling flourished... there were no cars... the roads were open, and empty... for the taking.

It sounds like the months you are referring to are in 2021... reopening and the return of traffic had occured by then. Even January and February 2020... those were "pre-lock down."

You never saw the "great empty" of the streets... when cyclists and pedestrians ruled.
Likes For genec: