Old 09-13-21, 03:45 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Trainers burn through tires faster than the road does. If you use the trainer very much, it's cheaper to wear out a trainer tire (I use my worn road tires) and keep yoru road tires newer.

BB
So you recommend a newbie indoor rider to buy an entire wheel, cassette, and tire, on top of performing the wheel swapping process (potentially every other day) if they ride indoors and outdoors frequently in the same week, just to avoid some extra wear on a tire? IMHO, just use the same wheel and tire, it's just a whole lot easier overall, even if it is marginally more expensive due to extra tire wear.

I've never seen the data, but how many less miles do you think you'd get from a tire on a trainer compared to riding that same tire outdoors? How many miles would it take on the special trainer wheel to see a return on the cost of that entire trainer wheel (ROI)? I'm guessing it takes MANY more miles than the OP is ever going to ride, maybe 5,000-10,000 miles? I've had a smart trainer since 2013, and never went through a tire riding indoors over the winter. But I have gone through 3-4 rear tires in a single season of outdoor riding (8,500 miles that year).

I once bought a trainer specific tire due to me thinking (and being told) that it was going to be quieter and less vibration on the wooden floor beneath the trainer. It wasn't. That tire is just hanging on the wall now, just in case I need it in an emergency.

Last edited by Riveting; 09-13-21 at 03:54 PM.
Likes For Riveting: