Old 02-22-23, 02:51 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
This was one of many bikes that came into the shop today; no one can pinpoint what it is. I'm hoping the brain trust here may recognize some aspect of this frameset. It has full Nuovo Record, no front wheel, and a newer rear wheel, but with what appears to be a Regina 6-speed freewheel (I didn't get a chance to peek beneath the dirt, busy days). There's also a faint rectangular ghosting on the front of the headtube. I didn't have a chance to snap a full-bike shot. Lots of paint is scraped away, a fair amount of surface rust, but overall not terrible. Unfortunately, most of the name has been removed. What I've been able to make out is it begins with "Li" and then maybe a "g" or an "o"? The last two letters appear to be "t" and probably an "o" or maybe an "e"? The lugs, fork crown, and bottom bracket windows seem like they may be more useful for identification. There is a serial number on the bottom bracket, but it's actually easier to see in the photo than in person, and it's not easy to see in the photo — 2, 0, 8 or 6 or 0, 5 or 3 or 8, 1, 0. I seem to have forgotten to also take photos of the stem/handlebars/brake levers.

The components all feel great. Haven't tried moving the seatpost or stem yet. Feels light (caveat: no front wheel) for its size; 60-63.

Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
Too bad about the state of the frame since it looks like a very nice one.

As noted by others, the decals are Liotto but the frame has all the telltale signs of a Giuseppe Pelà build.

I don't think the decals were applied randomly; I've seen a couple of other Liottos that were made by Pelà.

Pelà only did contract builds, so you will see his work wearing decals of all sorts of brands (including Masi, as Drillium Dude pointed out).

Here's an Elio badged Pelà:

Paging @zephyrblau