Old 08-09-20, 01:27 AM
polyphrast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
But there is a light that does have that feature, made by Ravemen called the PR series, they have the PR1600, PR1200, PR900 and the PR800. These lights have been raved about in reviews, plus they don't have that bulky separate battery; anyway read about these lights here: https://ravemen.com/product/product....g=en&class2=11
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Edit. I see that the Raveman 1600 can also use an external battery pack via a port in the rear of the light. Sounds like a good light. I might just give it a try. Thanks.
Those raveman lights are not really cut-off. They reduce the spill upwards, but there is still a significant amount (they just use simple fresnel lenses to do this). While not comparable to a standard lezyne light, enough to blind people (especially in higher modes) If you setup the light in such a way, that you don't blind others, you have an overexposed area pretty close to the bike.
Another great light is the Cateye Volt series, no cutoff but [....]
Cateye offers (at least in Germany) cut-off versions, Called GVolt 70 (StVZO) and GVolt 50 (StVZO). The former is a pretty good road light.

Personally I don't see the point of using 1,000 plus lumens of light [...]
That all depends on the beam characteristics. If wide spread, 1000 lm are needed in some situations, if not, it's overkill. It's hard to make a general statement about such a thing as necessary light amount.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Lupine Piko R 4 1800 Lumen Helmet Light = $509.00 Canadian
Is that one you were thinking of?
Cheers
Nope, he was thinking of either the Lupine SL (without highbeam); the Lupine SLF (with highbeam) or the Lupine SLX. Here you can see nicely all the beam characteristics: https://www.lupine.de/lighttest (maybe a bit overexposed, but good for comparison). From Supernova it is the M99 (Mini) series. Both manufacturers ain't cheap...

Last edited by polyphrast; 08-09-20 at 01:33 AM.
Likes For polyphrast: