DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobbiano
Is there any advantage to applying beforehand a coat of glue to the spare, when there's no glue on the rim?
I don't use tape, but I've heard usually there's lots of residue that stays on the rim. Sometimes it takes part of the tire's base tape too.

My spare is always used, so it has some glue on it - I'm pretty sure there's no disadvantage to putting a pre-glued tire on a pre-taped rim.

The other thing you have to be careful with, when riding a less-than perfectly glued/taped tire, is braking... the tire can creep around the rim and then the valve will get crooked and then there can be problems.

Rolling sew-ups off the rim is the kind of horror everybody's heard about; I have literally NEVER seen it... except for the famous Beloki crash in the TdF... and that was HOT, at race speed, and a steep winding downhill. A lot of the stories (especially criteriums) are crashes for OTHER reasons and then the tire comes off IN the crash rather than CAUSING the crash. So yeah be careful, but quit worrying.

Likes For DiabloScott: