Old 11-22-21, 07:32 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
IF it is permanently attached with a hitch. If just mounted by straps or such, probably not.

).

Truth. Depends on the rack and how it was attached. If its a pretty simple one held to a hatchback or something with straps -- likely not as was said, -- but if it is bolted or more firmly attached (like a roof rack or similar contrivance ) - then it should be deemed part of the car. In auto claims , things like pickup bed covers, step rails, etc. are considered part of the car and accounted for in a total loss settlement, so why not a roof rack? - But some things do vary from company to company and policy to policy --- or adjuster to adjuster.

Instead of arguing with you about a $200 Saris Bones rack, i might just pay it with the auto claim anyway, even if technically its looked at as a Homeowners or renters personal property item

im a 22 year claims adjuster and questions like these are why i am thankful i dont work auto claims (but i have just enough experience with them to know that i hate them )
Likes For DMC707: