View Single Post
Old 02-28-20, 03:53 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
It looks like Orucase actually makes the larger cases to order anyway, so I'd need the specific bag. I was looking at a used one, but the owner gave me a wild number and the price didn't move where I needed it to. I ended ordering a Post Carry.

I've got a friend's unused case here the "Pro" / "Team" one sold under many names (see example below), which is actually quiet compact but looks large, feels large, has some sketchy design details, and is heavy. I wanted to see if I could get smaller than that. The PC will save 5" in length, 4" in height, 5" in width, and ~12lb - it wont feel like much though as the hard case slim down quite a bit at the top. The thing the small bags have going for them is mail-abilty - if you can get the box dimensions below 30" tall and 10" wide, the Fedex/USP charge drops from $100/ea way to $60/ea way. Those nip tucks also make possible to get the bag in a trunk (maybe) and to travel with the fam.

On the seat mast, the seat tube is only 58cm long, so it's only 2cm longer than where a traditional flat top tube geometry bike would be (eg CAAD13 58 = 56.5; Checkpoint = 58cm). It's still a wild card with the drop stay. I've got Emonda ALR that's a notch easier to pack, but the Checkpoint has more flexibility for the SD trip with gearing for the hills, fitting for slow crusing, and tires for the soft roading.

Last edited by jfranci3; 02-28-20 at 04:22 PM.