View Single Post
Old 06-28-21, 02:43 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Seriously, you don't think the tires on the bike in Post #54 have more wind resistance than your standard 28mm - 32mm commuter tire? Well, I do. You should too. Not just wind resistance either. Until they started putting motors on those FAT bikes they were getting most of them back because people couldn't get to the ends of their own driveways under their own power. There are just as many people who enjoy punishing themselves with the resistance of huge rubber to make them feel like they are "working for it" as there are who want to keep the same road speed as on 'normal tires' with the cush and badass looks of the big rubber. But, tbh, I don't see nearly as many FAT bikes, e-assisted or not, as I used to do a year or two ago. 50mm tires will get most 'all-road' assignments done without requiring all your energy (or your battery's) just to get moving from a stop. The law of diminishing returns is right around 2.4". Get much bigger and all the benefits of a larger section start to go away. 2.8" to 3" is very hard to justify. At 4", the size of the average FAT tire you have deffo crossed into no mans land. You are giving it all to the man and he isn't giving much back, unless you are in very deep snow or sand. Ski's for the first scenario, a Camel for the second.
Have you ridden a fat bike?

I have a fat bike. Many people have said, It obviously takes more effort to pedal. Many then ask if they can ride it to see what it is like. All of them say they are surprised how little effort it takes to to pedal, and it is easier to pedal than a regular bicycle. To most people here, a regular bicycle is a 26 or 27 inch ladies bike.

In my opinion, on a good road the effort required to pedal it is equal to any good quality mountain bike. On a rough road, it requires less effort to pedal, as the tires absorb the bumps better. When it comes to sand and mud, I can ride in some places where others get off their bike and walk with it.

Wind resistance only makes a significant difference at high speed, or going into a head wind. If you look at the wind resistance of a bike with 2.4 inch tires, and include the wind resistance of the rider. The wind resistance of a bike with 4 inch tires, including the wind resistance of the rider, would be less than one percent more.

Having said that, the best bike for anyone depends on where they ride it. If a person only rides on decent roads or trails with hard surfaces, a regular mountain bike is all they need.

Another benefit of fat bikes is wheels breaking much less, particularly with heavy riders and rough tracks. Fat tires spread the forces out, and put less stress on individual spokes. As electric bikes are heavier, this is also a benefit with electric bikes.

If you haven't already, I suggest you ride a fat bike, and see for yourself.