Old 03-19-18, 07:48 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I can confirm that the only steel on the bike is the spokes, headset, front chain ring (not crank arms), saddle mounting and saddle railings, rear cog and chain.

Frame welds are excellent, japanese made nexus hub, single wall wheels (look pretty generic quality but the 36 spokes and small size should ensure they are strong), feels very strong and decent but the frame has a sticker stating bike+rider+luggage=105kg so we are talking about a rider weight limit of 90 or so kg officially. I don't feel the weight limit is dictated by the frame and certainly not the Nexus hub so would feel more likely limited by the basic wheel quality or possibly aluminium forks, stem, handlebars or seat post.

I think it would happily take a 100kg rider to be honest. Unfortunately I can't ride it currently so it's going to have to wait until I lose more weight. I'll have to stick to my mountain bikes for the moment.

Comparing this bike to a Dahon Vybe I saw in Halfords sometime ago the frame here looks much better quality than the Dahon however the Dahon I seem to remember had double wall wheels plus the Dahon had possibly stronger high tensile steel forks rather than the lightweight aluminium forks of this bike. So these 2 differences while adding weight may make the Dahon stronger.

The Carrera Transit sold in Halfords has a weight limit of 85kg for the rider and that is pretty much an identical bike except a 3 speed hub gear rather than 7 speed. I guess that 85kg weight limit is pretty much the official line here. Allowing for the bike weighing 12-13kg and some amount of luggage capacity.

Bike looks and feels very decent quality. A real step up from entry level and probably competitive in quality of components with hub geared Dahon and Tern bikes. However I suspect I will need to examine and re-assemble it to make sure everything is spot on. For the moment though its going to get folded up and stored unfortunately I hope to be riding it by the summer.