View Single Post
Old 07-01-21, 02:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastfwd01
Interesting to see so many haters of the Gatorskins on here. I've been running them (25mm) almost exclusively on both of my bikes for my regular rides around town. I'm often forced into the gutter while on public roads where I ride to attempt to appease the locals who aren't super cyclist friendly. I've still managed to get a few flats with them, but they are pretty incredibly flat resistant. I do have some of that mentioned fraying of the sidewall threads. I run these over 100psi and I probably put too much blame on my aluminum frame Cannondale Synapse for the harshness of the ride, but it can be pretty rough between the two combined. I guess I've just been put off running anything else. We get these little tiny grass burrs here too and when the lawnmower guys are out cutting grass near the bike paths it spews these little bastards all over the place and they will even defeat the Gatorskins on occasion if you hit one the wrong way. I'm not a fan of changing a flat on a ride. I've burned through too many inner tubes already. I don't need to add to my collection of patched tubes.

I do have a set of GrandPrix 4000s II that I put on for any events (century, gran fondos, etc.) that I might participate in and they have actually been pretty flat resistant. I mostly use them because they are a little more lightweight. I haven't even tried the GP5000 I see mentioned in this thread. Maybe it is time to see what else I could be using for my 'training' miles.

I will say that my Cervelo came equipped with a set of the regular Conti GrandPrix and I made the mistake of leaving them on for a big event that I participated in and got two flats over a 100 mile ride on the same day. They were definitely swapped out that evening for the second day of the event. I should have tossed them in the trash.
​​​​​​What Cervelo are you riding?