View Single Post
Old 06-24-22, 10:55 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 890 Posts
Friday afternoon, it occurred to me that the Brooks C17 saddle on the Appaloosa was too far forward. I moved it as far back as practicable, and was delighted to see that my pedal strokes gained power, and my legs stopped hurting. It was one of those "sitting in the bike" moments.

After a quick test ride, I took off on the Minuteman for a ride to Depot Park. I made good time, but did notice that the 20-mile ride felt more like 50. I suspect the upright riding posture is to blame, and that this build of this bike isn't for distance; given the touring bike DNA in this one, that seems like a waste to me. In any event, the saddle adjustment was enough of an improvement so that I'll continue the experiment.

Drive a Volkswagen and you see all the other Volkswagens on the road. Riding the Appaloosa has me noticing the variety of non-drop-bar bicycles that people are riding, and suggests why some of them are ridden the way they are.

Best unphotographed image of the afternoon: a young man on a Tall Bike that bore the sign STUDENT DRIVER on its superstructure.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 06-24-22 at 11:03 PM.