guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox
What about an Aurum? I have no first hand experience, but the reviews have been good and I think it looks gorgeous. I want to live vicariously through someone as I won't be getting a new high end bike for quite some time.

edit to add: I was away from this place for more than a decade before returning last fall. It does my heart good to see a drope the hamer reference.
The Aurum would certainly be an option if i can read some reviews of it - Contador was/is one of my favorite riders. That said, i am a little bit hesitant to go that route, mainly because I feel (rightly or wrongly) that brands like Specialized, Trek, Cervelo, Colnago all have in-house expertise in design and manufacturing: does Aurum have the same? I have no doubts that Contador has the expertise to evaluate the characteristics of the bike so that it is fun when you are slamdancing on the pedals (welcome back!), but i am not sure whether the manufacturer can match that.

With Colnago, in addition to the ride quality, there is also the uniqueness of the frame and the fact that Ernesto himself blessed the carbon with his tears before sending the frame to me. With Aethos, there is Spesh's impressive R&D. Those things set these bikes apart from, say, a Giant TCR - which is, by all accounts, a lovely bike to ride, but just lacking that little extra, ya know?

Rides4Beer Lemme check out the Super6. I generally have stopped looking at Cannondale because their color schemes leave me meh. That said, everyone who has them seems to love them, so maybe worth giving them another look.

jaxgtr - oh yes, Enve! I hadnt thought of them. I will check that out as well.

aplcr0331 Wildwood yeah, no Ti or steel. I have a custom lugged steel bike and i find the ride dull. Same with Ti - the bike was certainly fast, but something about the ride quality also felt boring.
Likes For guadzilla: