Old 05-02-22, 11:34 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
What to do with a cracked frame? (late 90sRockhopper)

What to do with a cracked frame?This is a bit of a cross-post (I originally put this under C&V because I forgot there was a framebuilders forum). Anyway, I would love to give this away to someone who might want to try a repair or could maybe salvage something (probably keeping the fork, headset and stem for myself). I have a box, and would be happy to ship for the cost of shipping.

From the Classic & Vintage subform:
This isn't really a question of 'how do I fix this' it's more of a question about what should I do with this thing? I have no intention of putting any money into a repair, but I don't want this in the landfill.

My buddy was clearing out his shed, and knows I pull parts to help repair other neighborhood bikes so he gave me this (mostly) complete Rock Hopper. He got wacked by a car a few years ago, and while he was unharmed, the bike was pulled under the car and broke the chainstay. I rigged up a quick straightener jig to get a picture of how severe the crack is (I didn't put very much pressure to get it to open up). I don't think this is a highly desired frame, so I am mostly interested in hearing what this community thinks I should do with it? I pulled the mostly complete RSX groupset and may set up another frame with those parts.