View Single Post
Old 06-27-22, 06:14 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
We have Topeak MTX racks and bags on our tandems and my stoker has complained about the trunk bag crowding her behind. You can see in the first picture how the bag sits right up the back of the stokers saddle. The geometry of the bikes force the racks to be at their adjustment limits so there is no adjusting to move the bag back. The bag slides into a dovetail and clips to the front bar of the rack. Installation and removal is very convenient which is why we like this trunk solution..

My solution to provide relief to my stoker was to design and 3D print a extension block that replicates the latch bar a few inches back from the front of the rack. This block stays in place permanently and the trunk bag can be installed and removed just like it would as the the solution is sold. She loves it (happy wife, happy life! )

Stock MTX set up on our bikes puts the bag right in the stokers seating area crowding her space and making her unhappy.

Latch extender slides into same dovetail and clamps to the front bar of the rack

Only adds a few ounces (which for us is noise)

Bag now clips in about 3 inches back from before giving stoker plenty of room. Bag is still well retained in dovetail slot and is very secure.
Likes For Alcanbrad: