Old 11-27-22, 04:41 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Opinions after running a season with five bikes using Molten Speed immersion wax. Context: I use KMC chains with YBN quick links. I used primarily RNR Gold previously.

Good:
Waxed drivetrains stay spotless and never need degreasing again.
The waxing process is far easier than people think. I degreased new chains in (cleaned out and fully degreased) old peanut butter jars using a few washes in odorless mineral spirits and isopropyl alcohol, that's easy and fast. After that, taking off the chain and rewaxing it is no harder than having to clean and relube a wet lube chain. It's also kind of a fun process and gives you a chance to service your bike with the chain off which makes several tasks a bit easier.

Bad:
Rust. I've found that waxing is terrible at preventing corrosion. I ride hard and sweat a lot. I also occasionally ride in damp, drizzly conditions. I am a fastidious maintainer of my bikes, and try to get all of the sweat off my bikes and drivetrains after every ride. Still, every single waxed chain I've used has rusted fairly quickly. I have been using KMC chains for many years and have never had an issue with chains rusting before when using traditional lubes. Frankly, this is a deal killer on the road.
Frequent rewaxing is necessary. In my experience, chains start to get loud after only 175-200 miles. I have weeks where I ride 250 miles so this is a little annoying. Using drip-on wax emulsion lubes like UFO or Silca Super Secret is an easy and effective way to extend this time.

Verdict:
I like waxing on my gravel bikes and mountain bikes as I ride a lot in very dusty conditions that cause a lot of wear to the drivetrains with wet lubes. I guess I need to find a new chain that's less prone to rust for those uses. I'm less sold on waxing for road use and I've gone back to using modern wet lubes like Silca Synergetic on my road bikes. That stuff is utterly fantastic.
Good info>