Thread: Too old to BMX
View Single Post
Old 03-21-20, 09:04 PM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 3S1M
I keep working on fakies but my success rate is really low. After trying a bunch of footjam fakies the other night I rode away once. I do think it was actually longer than that one in the video though. So that's progress. I feel like I have pretty good balance but the biggest obstacle about fakies for me is I end up leaned one way or the other and can't adjust and have to put my foot down. I gotta learn how to adjust when I'm just a tad bit leaned one way or the other.
I had the same problem for yrs; I found out that not necessarily we come out with a 'real clean backward riding' from a fakie, we need to be able to hop n pull while in backward motion to get out of that sometimes, as in that smallish trick we did when we were kids, hopping on both wheels left n right to balance while static. Just apply that while you are moving n cycling backward, it will come out naturally very soon.

​​​​​​Can you ride backward while seated on the handlebar? I used to think that is a vey lame small trick just because I did that when I was only 13. Apparently, if you are able to balance yourself riding like that, it's much easier to learn some of the other basic tricks; in my case it helps with the basic flatland stuff.

I think modern branded tires are just awesome; the look, weight, how they grip n roll... I really like the look on that Animal X T1, the Ody Chase Hawk, and theres one from Eclat that is really sick. Ahhh need a new frame to fit in those.... maybe one day