Old 04-19-21, 08:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
I now use an Anvil mitering fixture. But I hand did a number before and agree with the ease of slight offness in stay lengths. That's one reason to build with BB shells that have sockets Even with the Anvil I follow up with a small bit of hand file strokes to fine tune the miters. This is where a tacking jig (different then the mitering fixture) is a nice thing. It is better at consistent stay placement and aids the ability to check minor miter tuning far better then what I had before.

While not the initial topic of this thread here's a unicrown mitering fixture I made for the first (and so far only) MtB fork I've made. The tube blocks are Alex Meade's. The rest is either specific bought or bits I had in the scrap bin. The blades still needed some hand tuning after the hole saw did the bulk of the work. With some creative thinking and fairly simple fab work a reasonable mitering fixture isn't hard to make. maybe not quickly though.