Thread: Is 72V Safe?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-21, 05:02 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Electric cars have batteries with voltages in the 400 volts range. So no, it isn't like the voltage is going to jump out and bite your passenger.

Your concern probably came from a post I made some time ago. I thought 60V was some legal definition of low voltage. Turns out it was an ebike blogger who claims 60V is often considered the limit of what you can touch with your fingers and not get shocked. Voltages below 60V won't penetrate the resistance of your skin whereas greater voltages might do so.

Technically 10 milliamps through your heart is considered enough to stop it beating. How you get that to happen has too many variables to list. Suffice to say the higher the voltage, the greater the chance of it pushing that 10 milliamps through your heart.

I think the bigger worry with bike batteries is the higher voltage can create a much more substantial arc if something shorts out. Google pictures of Kentucky fried fingers