Old 05-08-21, 06:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
1- the hub width is a non issue for someone with experience. At worst they might charge you for the one off dummy axle to fit their fork jig.

2- Cost and consumer awareness. It seems that many HAVE bought the CroMoly frame with the other material fork and not had enough complaint to bother finding replacements, or seeking help from forums that focus on frame building. I believe this group of buyers also contains you, until recently Do understand the weight savings are going to be pretty small.

3- Very typical for a non touring specific bike to have only one set of eyes. In fact that is likely that vast majority of forks that have any eyes, having only one set.

Eric's cost suggestion is pretty close to what I was thinking of. I've seen $400 for a more common 100mm wide drop outed fork for common 700c wheels using common crowns and existing tooling to make with a few years ago. About 6 years ago I aligned a Bike Friday's fork, after a mishap. IIRC the new replacement was going to be close to $350, and that's a production example likely built in batches and painted in batches to save costs. A far lower cost path might be to have eyes brazed onto the OEM fork. Andy