SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
2004 Element FWD 5 speed manual here. Purchased new. It has 211 thousand miles on it now.

I can transport bikes inside but use the receiver hitch with a basic Thule rack which is handy for me to stage (last minute tire pressure check and cleaning) my bike prior to rides.

Love the concept. It is disappointing that I can't find enough love for the maintenance (have had some sub-par servicing over the years). I have an Ingen stainless cat back exhaust, and switched to 18" wheels that were originally for a Honda 5 door Accord (I can't think what that model is called). I also replaced the original motor mounts (4 motor mounts and one transmission mount) with urethane motor mounts. I am about to get my manual trans bushings replaced with aftermarket ones. I have replaced the struts and springs twice. The front end still has squeaks and random "thunk"ing noises over rough terrain. The 4 cylinder block I have heard is super robust and racers seek out these engines for self fabricated turbo or drag racing project engines.
Have you checked the ball joints?

The first part of any cars suspension is the tire sidewall. I wouldn’t change any wheel/tire combo to lower profile, just to turn around and try to chase clunks and squeaks.

I actually think the trend toward ever less sidewall is asinine for a car that’s never going on a track or autocross test.