Old 12-19-21, 11:32 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Ductling
Hello, I'm a cycling newbie

I want to drive a car no more and I like to exercise on the road and cut down gas emissions to the environment.

My workplace is 26 miles from where I live.

It means a 50-mile total trip from Monday to Saturday, from 20F winter to 90F summer, from rain to snow.

Because the destination is a group of high-profile congregated businesses so I need to look neat, not sporty nor sweaty.

I am wondering if anyone has done it efficiently and gracefully for at least a serious year, not just a week or a month?

There is literally nobody I know who can do it in a way that is both efficient and enjoyable. Some friends tell me it is not possible not to get full sweat in summer and the road condition is always too hazardous to cycle efficiently.

Is it really possible to do it in a realist way? It cannot take two much time. I think 1.5 hours per 25 miles is the optimal speed though they are already 3 times more than driving my car.

For 6 years my commute was 42.5 miles rt. 550 ft drop into work and 550 climb homeward with one stiff climb. Mild, rolling terrain, otherwise. Would use my geared bike on Mondays to take a weeks worth of clothes. Then fixed the rest of the week w/a trunkbag for soiled clothes homeward. Took in lunch everyday. 50 rt is doable, but I'd advise working up to it. Start out 2 days and increase over time. When it gets to be a grind? Drive. Take days off. 10,000+ miles per year is alot of mileage. Get the best rig you can afford. One rule of thumb i adopted was "Never ride in your working clothes or work in your rtiding clothes." Eat alot of oats and drink plenty of water. You'll figure it out.

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 12-19-21 at 11:37 PM.